Do you need a website for your business or venture?
Do you choose to build it yourself or hire a professional web designer?
In this article, we highlight the pros and cons of each option so that you can make the best decision for your needs.
What are the Pros and Cons of Using Self-Build Website Tools?
On the positive side, Self-build website building tools are:
- Inexpensive, with costs typically ranging from £10-£40 per month
- Fast to launch, often within a few hours
- Website is hosted for you automatically
- Safe with security handled by the website provider
- Attractive, with professional designs included
- Packed with industry templates
- Easy to use — some tools literally as easy as “drag and drop”
- Easy to update on your own with no delays or added cost
- Capable of using your domain name, though perhaps with a bit of extra cost
The negatives of using self-build website tools include:
- Have limited customisation options
- You won’t own your website design — so if you switch website providers, you must start over
- May include ads with their “free” plans and have other limitations removable only if you upgrade to a paid plan
- Offer only limited use of advanced marketing tools and SEO
- May offer support limited to online help with telephone support only available if you upgrade or pay extra, most website builders HQ are in America and don’t operate the same office hours as we do in the UK – so can be difficult to contact if there’s a problem
- Your website can still look amateur-ish
- Your website won’t be unique
- Can be an additional charge for making your site secure
What are the Pros and Cons of Using a Professional Web Designer like Highstreet Media?
Pros of using a professional website designer include:
- Full design customisation possibilities
- Personal set-up attention, including someone to talk to and everything done for you
- Personalised support by someone you know and trust, at the times most convenient to you
- Use of any advanced marketing tools and add-ons you wish, not limited to the tool provider’s choices
- Use of your own domain name
- Totally unique design
- Professional design and function
- You get expert knowledge and advice
- Specialist industry experience
On the negative side, custom websites:
- Can be more expensive than DIY sites
- Take a longer time to launch, typically one month or more
- Require communicating your needs from scratch to your designer
- Require time to find, evaluate and hire a web designer
- If you choose a website package that doesn’t come with its own content manager and you do need to make changes to your website there will probably be a charge from your designer to make alterations.
There’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing between a self-build website and hiring a professional website designer. Every small business and every situation is different. It depends on what you’re looking for, how much time you can devote to using self-build website tools, how big your budget is, and how professional and customised you want your web presence to be.
If you want help or advice on small business websites please don’t hesitate to get in touch.